History of our Firms

Mitchell-Hughes Funeral Home

DSC_1484 copy2Mitchell Hughes Funeral Home located at 800 N. Market Street in Marion, IL dates back to 1914. It has grown through a series of owners who have devoted themselves to the care and concern of thousands of families in the Marion area. C.D. Ozment was the founder of the business in 1914.

He was followed by Leonard Mitchell who married the Ozment’s niece, Nellie. The Mitchell’s retired in 1972.

Larry G. Hughes, did his apprenticeship and internship at Mitchell Funeral Home. He became part owner in 1970 and sole owner in 1982…Photos & Directions


Johnson-Hughes Funeral Home

DSC_1701copyJohnson Hughes in Herrin has served Herrin families since 1933 when Paul Johnson and Joe Gualdoni established the facility at 200 North 16th in Herrin.

In 1935 the home was moved to its current location at 201 South 13th just one block from Park Avenue and adjacent to the Herrin Hospital. In 1938 Johnson became partners with John Moroni and the home became the Moroni-Johnson Funeral Home until Moroni’s death in 1949.

The Johnson Funeral Home under the direction of Paul Johnson became an important part of the city of Herrin. In 1983 after the death of Mr. Johnson, Larry G.  Hughes purchased the firm…Photos & Directions